Monday, April 23, 2007

Capri-Sun for adults

This is the 2003 "Bandit" Cabernet Sauvignon from California made by Three Thieves. Yes, it is wine. This 250 mL little guy could easily fit inside my jacket pocket, or four of these little guys could fit in the bottom of my purse... like they did last Saturday when I went to the Angels game.

It looks like a juice box, and by golly, it tastes like a juice box (very fruity, but not sweet. 13% alcohol). I would have enjoyed this wine more if it had come with a sippy straw. I also wish it had been chilled a bit. It was an enjoyable drink and reminded me of Smucker's Goober Grape jelly-- the kind that came mixed in the jar with peanut butter. In other words, this is a fruity, fun wine. My friends at the Angels game tried it, and it got their nod of approval.



What I really liked about Bandit is its portablity. You can easily slip this into your purse or jacket and take this into the movies.. or just about anywhere. This wine would be PERFECT for taking to a play... when you don't want to spend the entire Intermission waiting in line at the concession stand.

The wine comes from Three Thieves winery which is better known for their "jug" wines. Winemakers Joel Gott, Charles Bieler, and Roger Scommegna also make, "The Show" cabernet.. a great value cab.


The Bandit comes in a "tetra pak", a kind of paper-like material that keeps the wine fresh. The artwork on the box is quite entertaining, with quips like, " The sooner you get over the package, the better it will be for all of us."...... and, "Wine Snob Tested. Mother Earth Approved"... and my favorite, "A box in the hand is worth two in the bush."

$8 for four 250mL packs (equalling 4 glasses). This is not an extreme value, but man, you can take this wine anywhere.

But bring your own sippy straw.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review of the juice box wine! I have bought one with Chardonnay in it but I haven't tasted it yet, I bet it will be the perfect drink on a blanket at the park.
Kathleen
Albany, NY

Wine and Stories from the Vineyard Blog - http://www.myspace.com/gamay