Thursday, July 05, 2007

HOT Pastrami Love


This was a weird pairing for sure. Popped open the Lucien Albrecht Cremant D'Alsace Brut Rose (Pink champagne, except you cannot call it "Champagne" unless it comes from the Champagne region in France, plus a bunch of other rules. The French like rules). This one is from Alsace, which is southeast of Champagne.




Cremant d' Alsace is lesser-known, so (compared to Champagne) you can get it for a great price. This, I bought for $14. Loved the color... the pinkiest pink you ever did see. 100% Pinot Noir. Taste: like eating fresh cranberries. Very pretty. I paired this with a pastrami sandwich (and fries) from Mr. Pete in San Clemente. I called my friend Chad (http://winefoodla.blogspot.com) for a wine recommendation for Pastrami... he suggested Pinot Noir, or a grenache, or cotes du rhone or chianti... All, excellent suggestions... but it was hot and I felt like something chilled, so I brought on the bubbly. "Interesting" combination ... The saltiness from the pastrami seemed to overpower the rose.


But the wine still rocked.

Whenever I see/eat/hear of Pastrami, I always think of that Seinfeld episode. Here's a snippet.

No comments: